The Friends of the J.V. Fletcher Library's Book Sales are held three times per year in at the library. These sales include books and other media for all ages.
Come to browse, buy, or volunteer.
2018 Book Sale Schedule
June 8-10, 2018
6:30 - 9 p.m. on Friday, June 8
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 9
2 - 4 p.m. on Sunday, June 10
October. 12-14, 2018
6:30 - 9 p.m. on Friday, October 12
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturday, October 13
2 - 4 p.m. on Sunday, October 14
Friday night, the opening night of all regular sales, is reserved for Friends members only. Our very reasonably priced membership can be renewed or purchased at the door. Or become a member here. On Sundays, all items are half-price.
See the Calendar for detailed times and days
The book sales:
- are an important fundraiser for the Friends of the J.V. Fletcher Library and its many vital programs
- give Westford residents a way to recycle their books and other media
- provide an outstanding opportunity to purchase books and other items at incredibly low prices! Most items are priced 50¢ to $1.
- Now accept credit cards, although cash is always preferred!
SCANNER POLICY: The use of scanners is not allowed at the Friends Members Sales on Friday nights to ensure a more welcoming, enjoyable and family-friendly experience for everyone who comes to the sale. Scanners are welcome on Saturday and Sunday.
How to Donate to the Friends’ Book Sales and Help the Library
Donate your books, DVDs, Blu-ray, CDs, audiobooks on CD, and LP records in good condition for resale to benefit the J.V. Fletcher Library and its many programs!
What Can and Cannot Be Donated to the Book Sale
We accept the following in good condition:
- hardback and paperback books, both fiction and nonfiction, for all age groups
- audiobooks in on CD
- CDs and LP records
- DVDs and Blu-ray
- Encyclopedias that are less than 5 years old
We cannot accept:
- tattered, soiled, musty or mildewed books
- other media not in the original packaging
- magazines (including National Geographic)
- textbooks published more than 10 years ago
- VCR tapes (VHS)
- cassette tapes (music or audiobook)
- Encyclopedias more than 5 years old
When and Where to Drop Off Donated Items
When the library is open
- Leave donated items at the Janiece Greenberg Room door; it’s the first door on the left after entering the library’s back door from the parking lot.
When the library is closed
- Leave your donations in the large, marked container near the back door.
How to Get Receipts for Donations
Donations to the Friends’ books sales are tax-deductible. Receipts are available from the librarians at the check-out desk on the library's main floor.
What to Do With Books That Cannot be Accepted
Magazines and paperbacks in poor condition can be recycled with your curbside recycling.
Outdated textbooks and other books in unsellable condition can be recycled with the for-profit company Discover Books - www.discoverbooks.com. Drop off items in the self-serve collection container located in the Water Department parking lot at 63 Forge Village Rd. Thanks to the Westford Recycling Commission for setting up this book recycling site!
How to Volunteer at a Book Sale
Contact the Friends’ Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com to volunteer to help at the book sales. About a month before each sale, volunteers receive an email asking if they’d like to help at the sale. The email includes instructions for signing up. Those without email are called by phone.
If you have other questions, please contact the Friends of the Library Book Sale Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.